Gadchiroli district was carved out on
the 26th of August 1982 by the division of erstwhile Chandrapur district. Earlier, it was a part
of Chandrapur District and only two places namely Gadchiroli and
Sironcha were tahsils of Chandrapur District before the formation of
Gadchiroli tahsil was created in 1905 by
transfer of Zamindari Estate from Brahmapuri and Chandrapur tahsil. Gadchiroli district was created on
August 26, 1982 by bifurcating the Chandrapur district in the place of Brahmapuri, which is part of
the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. In ancient times the region was ruled by the Rashtrakutas, the
Chalukyas, the Yadavas of Deogiri and later the Gonds of Gadchiroli. In the 13th century Khandkya
Ballal Shah founded Chandrapur. He shifted his capital from Sirpur to Chandrapur. Chandrapur
subsequently came under Maratha rule. In 1853, Berar, of which Chandrapur (then called Chanda until 1964)
was part, was ceded to the British East India Company. In 1854, Chandrapur became an independent
district of Berar. In 1905, the British created the tehsil of Gadchiroli by transfer of Zamindari
Estate from Chandrapur and Brahmapuri. It was part of the Central Provinces till 1956, when with
the reorganisation of the states, Chandrapur was transferred to Bombay state. In 1960, when the
new state of Maharashtra was created, Chandrapur became a district of the state. In 1982 Chandrapur
was divided, with Gadchiroli becoming an independent district in the place of Brahmapuri.
Gadchiroli district is situated on
the North-Eastern side of Maharashtra State & district is situated on the North-Eastern side of
Maharashtra State & have State borders of Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. Naxalism is highly prevalent
in Gadchiroli district and subsequently has been highlighted as part of the Red Corridor, used to
describe areas in India that are plagued by Naxalites. They took the shelter in the dense forest &
hills of this district.
Total population of the district
is 10,72,942. Male and female population is 5,41,328 and 5,31,614 respectively(As per Census 2011).
SC and ST population in the district is 1,20,754 and 4,15,306 (As per 2011 Census ).
The literacy rate of district is 66.03%(as per census 2011). The Tribal Community population
that resides in the district
is 38.17 % ( As per Census 2011).
The district is categoried as Tribal
and undeveloped district and most of the land is covered with forest and hills. Forests cover more than
75.96 % of the geographical area of the district. This district is famous for Bamboo and Tendu
leaves. Paddy is the main agriculture produce in this district. The other Agriculture Produce
in the district are Jwar, Linseed, Tur, Wheat. The Main profession of the people is farming.
There are no large scale Industry in
the entire district except the Paper Mill at Ashti in Chamorshi Taluka and Paper Pulp Factory
at Desaiganj. Due to this, the district is economically backward. There are many Rice Mills in
the district as the Paddy is the main agriculture produce here.The Tussar Silk Worm Centre
exist in Armori taluka of the district. Only, 18.5 kilometers Railway route passes through
Seven languages are spoken in the
district ie, Gondi, Madiya , Marathi, Hindi, Telugu, Bengali, Chattisgadi.
The district is divided into six
Sub-Divisions i.e. Gadchiroli, Chamorshi, Aheri, Etapalli, Desaiganj and Kurkheda respectively and each sub-division has two
talukas. 457 Gram Panchayats and 1688 Revenue Villages. The
district has three Legislative Assembly Constituencies namely Gadchiroli, Armori and Aheri.
Basically, the district is distributed into 12 talukas and 12 Panchayat Samitis. There are 10 Nagar Panchayats in Gadchiroli district and two
Municipaltis exist in the district i.e. at Gadchiroli and Wadsa.
The main river basin of the district
is Godavari which borders the southern boundary of the district and flows West to East. The
major sub-basins of the Godavari are Pranhita sub-basins which is named after the
confluence of two major sub-basins ie Wainganga and Wardha River near Chaprala village of
Chamorshi Taluka; and Indravati sub-basin.
The eastern part of district ie,
Dhanora, Etappali, Aheri and Sironcha talukas; are covered by the forest. Hills are located in
the areas of Bhamaragad, Tipagad, Palasgad and Surjagad in the district.
Major Bamboo Trees In The Forest of Gadchiroli District
You Will Find The Animals Like Above In The Forest of Gadchiroli District